Pages

Saturday 3 March 2012

Etisalat

A useful word that one. Snarl it at someone in the Emirates and they will be at a bit of a loss. It isn't a recognised curse, so they can't take legal action like this or this. They will recognise, however, that you've just said something very bad to them.
I went to see them on the 23rd, to tell them that we were moving on the 25th and to request that they shifted your account address and Internet connection to the new address. I had to go to four different counters to do this and one of them, to give him his due, did warn me that I should be careful to tell the others which date very carefully, as they were sometimes a bit careless about it. So I did, very carefully and often. Didin't make a blind bit of difference. I got back to find that the Internet connection had been cut. Back to the office and try to get it reconnected.
Turns out that they always and only disconnect on the day that you come in to request - there is no chance that you can book this in advance and have to come onthe day that you are moving, 'cos you don't have enough to do when you are shifting house, you also need to go sit in the Etisalat office and wait while hell freezes over. A genuinely nice lady (not one I'd seen before) tried to sort this out and get us reconnected. The fact that it didn't work wasn't her fault. I called the helpline and they couldn't help, beyond promising to send out a technician to see to it. On the 25th. I said not to bother, as we were moving that day and needed it transferred then. On the 25th, I went back and requested the shift. They promised me that the job would be done in five days.
Everyone agrees that that is a particularly mean joke. Reconnections after a move usually take a month. We've passed the first week with no sign of anyone from Etisalat. I may go back and ask for progress, but I'd rather stick one of my fingers in a pencil sharpener. Connected life now depends on us all visiting Internet cafes. Needless to say, this cuts down on the amount of email, Facebook and blogging that can be done. This is probably all that I'll put up here until we get reconnected. By that time I might have some thoughts on the matter of our interconnectedness that might be worth reading and not have too much cursing in them. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment